Sunday, July 10, 2011

Skirt

I made a skirt!!!

This is a huge triumph for me. I started with 1.5 yards of fabric that I love and have had for 5 years. Adding to that is a great need and desire to make my own clothes as I can never find skirts or pants that fit me or my style.. well me mostly. Throw in motivation, time and an existing skirt (that I converted from pants 8 years ago) and there you have it!

The best part is IT ACTUALLY FITS! :D  When I first made the skirt it was really big and I was so pissed because of the way I did the waist band. I would have to completely deconstruct the top of the I skirt to take it in. Then I decided to wash it and see how things looked. My washer and dryer are miracle workers.
The liner fabric is from another project that I took apart








This project was a great experience for me. I used tissue paper ( for wrapping presents) for the pattern and did a bunch of math: my waist is so many inches and I intend on having 4 panels so they all have to be so many inches on the top.

 I used many different colored pens when I was converting the existing skirt dimensions to be the skirt that I wanted. To make the front and back panels symmetrical I discovered that I could just fold the fabric over - perpendicular to the direction of my pattern. I used an invisible zipper and foot for the first time! It worked out so well and I was so excited about it that I forgot to add the pockets (oh well).






 I even did darts - I had to, it was from the original pants and actually helped shape the skirt nicely. The darts are a funny learning experience. If you make them too severe you end with what I like to call Nipple Bottom. I have no pictures of said Nipple Bottom because I was able to undo and elongate them. I found the best way to determine how long they should be by using the iron, though I am sure there is an official way.

See, no Nipple Bottom.
Now that I have done this one I can't wait to change the pattern and see if I can make a different one! Or maybe just try the same one but with different fabric...
Charlie is SO helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment