Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanks Giving

My Very First. Well not really. Of course I have had Thanks Giving before, every year of my life and sometimes twice depending on the family situations.

This is the first, however, that I am in charge; the only cook in the kitchen. Even though its just us, (husband and the 3 cats) of course I have a 12 pound turkey. I am going the distance.

I dance between complete comfort and total panic with the prospect of doing this on my own. I have been raised and been around great cooks my whole life. I have always been in the kitchen if not the right hand gal of many mothers on Roast Giving day. How could I not already have this in the bag? But a whole turkey, dressing, baby red potatoes, asparagus, bread, cranberry sauce, gravy and dessert?

Really? What am I thinking??!?!

I have drawn the line in the sand though; not stuffing but dressing and a store bought selection of cheesecake bites instead of my own pie. I am not going to try anything fancy, just straightforward recipes and stuff I am familiar with, like asparagus - easiest thing in the world. Now that I have said that, though, I know that will be my down fall.

I am going the leg work, I read Fannie Farmer this morning. Adam and I picked the menu together so we will both be happy. Grocery shopping is done. And no guests, which will ease the pressure.

All I can do is hope now. Hope for the best, and know that I have ravioli and a jar of sauce if it all goes down the pooper.

 My one question: do I defrost the turkey first? I am going to just in case - it won't hurt, right?

Happy Thanks Giving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment