Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My cooking super secret

I love spice mixes, I find they are extremely handy. I have a bunch and I use them all the time, either together, alone or as an accent.

When I was looking for information for this post I found that I have my terms confused. The brand that I have most of is the McCormick brand and they have spice mixes for meatloaf, chili and such and they have the Grill Mates line. The Grill Mates line is what I actually use. I have the Low Sodium Montreal Chicken, Lemon Pepper w/ herbs, Mesquite and Roasted Garlic and herb but I have never actually used them for grilling.

If I am making a chicken and beans dish I will add the Montreal Chicken seasoning or the Roasted Garlic herb seasoning as well as garlic and onions to add depth of flavor.

When I make chili or baked beans I add the Mesquite, it adds smokiness as well as some spice.

If I am doing fish, I will use the lemon pepper mix. But I like to change it up, my standard fish thing it to bake it at about 400, I use my totally awesome toaster oven so the temp isn’t exact. Anyways, standard fish is a bit of lemon juice and some butter or margarine. Then I either do the lemon pepper seasoning, low sodium seasoning salt or a sprinkle of both curry powder and ground ginger. Bake for 12 to 20 minutes depending on how thick the fish is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment