Thursday, December 16, 2010

My love of Jiffy mix

I wanted to talk about some other recipe that I love that does not seem to involve cheese somehow...so Jiffy Mix it is.


I discovered Jiffy Mix at the grocery store because Jiffy offers those great, one recipe size boxes of the best corn bread mix. I am something of a brand follower so I tried the Jiffy mix, also the box has a ton of recipes on it, anything from waffles to cinnamon buns and chicken casserole. The product is much like Bisquik but I find Bisquik has a very distinct flavor that I am not so fond of.


I have made the pancakes and cinnamon buns with great success  and decided to try the sugar cookies. The thing is I really don't like sugar cookies- I think they are boring and can be ruined easily but there is no shortage of chocolate chips in my house! Here is what I did:

2 cups Jiffy mix
1/3 cup milk
1egg, beaten
½-1 ½ cups of chocolate chips
2/3 cup sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp of nutmeg

Bake at 350 on a greased cookie sheet for over 8 minutes…they take  longer than I expect so I start checking at 8 and take out when ready.

The trick is to let the dough sit out for 15 to 20 minutes before baking. It will rise a bit and so the cookies end up being little golden brown mountains instead of flat cookies, see difference in pic... And because of the mix they are not crunchy but cakey which I love.

You can also add an extra cup of mix and a half cup of peanut butter for a twist.

I was thinking of experimenting with other things like adding cranberries and nuts or white chocolate chips and candied orange peel but I haven’t gotten there yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment