Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Red Devil Sweater

As my first 2011 project I wanted to make myself a sweater. I picked out two different ones as I couldn't decide and bought all the yarn I needed and got started. I started with this bolero, marked as easy with the Tudor color of Homespun- I have been dreaming of using this yarn since I saw it in the store. Well the pattern stitch coordination seemed a bit too complicated. Also I did not gauge my stitch- I know I am reckless but I didn't have the recommended needle size and this is my first project where is mattered and I didn't know. So I got to the point where you join the front left panel and the front right panel to start working on the rest and lo and behold they are so wrong I can’t even describe it. That got undone quickly.


So I started working on option B, this sweater, in cranberry Wool Ease. I worked with Wool Ease a lot for several Christmas presents and really enjoyed it so I looked for patterns specifically for Wool Ease (again a beginner). I liked the look of the model in the sweater and I thought that I could get around the collar-I am not a fan of clothes touching my neck.


I got through the back panel and it seemed to go smoothly though I didn’t get to finish all of the directions because I had reached the desired length. The front started out just as smooth but at the point where the collar starts we started fighting. I kept managing to find other things to work on and it seemed that my red sweater would stop there. Finally I put on Harry Potter audio book and sequestered myself in the living room and got past my road block. Again though, I didn’t get to finish all of the directions because I had reached the desired length. At that point I was having doubts of the outcome of this project. I had the dread f completing the sweater and never wanting to wear it. It seemed loose and more like a tight net than a nice sweater. This is when it became the red Devil sweater. 

But I fought on. I completed one sleeve in two days and things were good. On to the next sleeve which was harder to get done as I didn’t have a good free weekend. I was knitting away in the car with my mom, a huge knitter, and I am trying to show off (What was I thinking!!) and she confirms all of my red devil sweater doubts with 4 words: “You’re a loose knitter.” I was strong and said that I knew and was compensating. Even as an adult you lie to your mom. 

The worst part was that this was the last piece, after the sleeve I had the collar and sewing left-practically done.

When I got home all of that beautiful cranberry yarn and all of the bits of sweater and several stitch markers all went into a plastic bag under the bed in the guest room, to stay until I could find another pattern to love and be inspired by. 

It is still there by the way 2 months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment