Monday, April 18, 2011

Sweater Progress

In a turn of success, I was inspired for another attempt at the bolero but this time I had the correct needle, checked my gauge and rejected the pattern stitch and just K the knit and P the purl. The Bolero turned out just how I wanted it, big and cozy. This is a great success for me and it seems like I was against the odds after reading all of the reviews of the pattern. In the end I had to look up a different Lion Brand pattern to get the specifics on how to do the finishing on part of it. I might have been a bit liberal with the length on certain parts as well-it's my sweater darn-it!. 



I have recently bought one of Elizabeth Zimmerman’s books, Knitting Without Tears. The concept of a sweater with no seams is so exciting I can’t stand it. I read slowly-which killed me-but I wanted to make sure I really absorbed as much as I could. The book changed my knitting life- I now understand gauge and how to make it work for me and the percentages system is so far working well. 


I have completed the body up to the arm pits and did the 3/4 length sleeves this weekend. This sweater project was a test of my tolerance during the first try but now it is an exciting challenge where I am learning new things and honing my skills. The project is now sentimental as I am using my Nana's size 5 metal circular needle and the set of size 5 double point needles are from my mother.(Thats right, metal knitting needles. Dude.   I have found the trick with metal needles is the tension-too loose and they slip right out causing a heart attack but just right and they happily stay.)


Anyways, I will be adding the sleeves today and starting with the yoke part!! YAY!!! I plan on making it a wide neck and I intend (right now) on doing a simple eyelet detail around the neck to make it interesting.. we shall see how I do..

1 comment: