Saturday, March 3, 2012

Crawling Back

I have fallen off the blogging band wagon and I am ashamed of it. I knew it would happen eventually but I was really hoping that the Sunrise House would be different. Plus, I do love being here with you.

I am not really sure what my problem is, I have been doing all sorts of projects and activities that would be prefect blog material but I never sit and write. I know I am hesitant to write after the fact because I never have any pictures to document what I have done. Really, what is a blog without pictures?

Now that I think on it I have a whole bunch to tell you all about.

I knit my first pair of socks and they came out quite nicely. I used the Martha Stewart for Lion brand Yarn striped socks pattern for worsted weight yarn. The pair took me just a few dedicated hours one weekend. They are a bit big but that would be easy enough to fix.

I experimented with using the same yarn but different needle sizes in a luxurious cowl that I happen to be wearing right now. In the same project I figured out a nifty way to add multiple stitches in one location to keep with the pattern stitch. The trick is to use two different ways of adding stitched in combination, keeping the correct tension and using wonderful and bulky yarn.

I have also tried a few new recipes. I found the best spice mix for salmon: ginger and smoked paprika. I know it sounds weird but it really works on Salmon, just a sprinkling of each, probably about a 1/2 tsp per 3/4lb, with some garlic power. I always start out fish with a even coat of lemon juice and round off the seasoning with some salt and pepper and a dab or two of butter.

I have started working Brussels sprouts into my veggie list, they are just so good for you that I had to try. My husband loves them and my mother in law has this great recipe of roasted Brussels sprouts and chestnuts that she serves during the holidays. I came up with two recipes, one roasted one pan cooked.  For the roasted sprouts I cut then into quarters length wise and threw them in a sheet pan with 1 bell pepper, a package of mushrooms - quartered, 1 large onion - dices large and 2 cloves garlic - sliced, tossed it all in olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted at about 350. Stir the mixture after 15 minutes, 10 minutes after that stir in 1 can of diced tomatoes (you can add a can of rinsed kidney beans now as well) and cook another 10 to 15. This can be a main dish or side, just sprinkle a bit of Parmesan when serving. It can serve 2 to 6.

My pan cooked recipe is some sausage meat with an onion and a clove of garlic and quartered Brussels sprouts with a bottle of ale. Let that cook down for 15 to 10 and served that over pasta and finish with a chunk of cream cheese.

I have been roasting chicken thighs for lunch the past few weeks, it is the easiest thing ever, I couldn't believe it. I used the method from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything for roasting ‘chicken parts’ (as opposed to chicken breasts). 375 degrees for the oven, sheet pan, I season the meat on both sides lightly with a chicken seasoning mix from McCormick. The tights have skin and bone but I trim off the extra fat and any skin that seems in the way. Lay the chicken out skin side up and stick it in the oven. Roast for 45 minutes total, turning every 15 minutes, check the temp, if it’s over 165 you are done. For this week I chopped up 2 bell peppers and a large onion and filled in the areas around the chick on the pan and voila! Delicious Lunch.


 I have been reading a bunch lately too but I will save those for another post.

I am happy to be back, thanks for stopping by. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment