Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Brush With Fame

I always imagine myself meeting stars and hitting it off and being calm and just right. However the actual introduction is key, I see the famous person surrounded by fans and because I do not like crowds I am in the background watching. And then the star will look around and see me and invite me over or come over to me and it is perfect.

I never thought that it would happen but it did. Granted my husband took me to the book store where Amanda Soule was and there were not many people there but that is what happened. The people she was talking to left and she looked around and saw me and came over to talk to me. It was amazing.

We had planned to attend her periodical signing in VT since she had mentioned it, which gave me a few weeks to properly build up the excitement. I had though about what I wanted to tell her and talk to her about. Of course casually show her the item of clothing that I had made (it ended up being a pink cowl that day). Maybe tell her that I was trying to start a business and that I had a blog. We were going to chat about everything and anything and would become the best of friends instantly.

When the day came I was so filled with nerves and excitement I don't think I could properly talk. The book store was about an hour away from our house and it was a gorgeous Spring day so we set up the GPS and set out. Of course we got lost. The GPS thought we were going to the next town over which in VT means an extra hour driving on tiny pot holed roads. We only stopped and asked directions once and then we were there.

I was so nervous, there was no talking. I believe my husband was literally pushing me towards Amanda but I could not go. When she did come over and talk to me I can only remember saying hi and something about her being amazing and inspiring. I did mention her Blog and how I read it all the time. She signed my copy of her new periodical: Taproot. It was more than I could have hoped for. She is nice, polite, warm, friendly and seemed just as shy was I was but more practiced in a public setting. She was Normal and just like her blog conveyed. We did not stick around after that and were able to get home quickly.

It was a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! Awesome! I have been wondering how this went! So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story!! I have always felt that I would react the same way as thought you would when I meet Nora Roberts. And I hope I have the same experience you did!

    ReplyDelete