Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Breaded Day

Charlie in "face plant"

It is around 4 in the afternoon on Sunday, though the sun is setting slowly today was a beautiful clear blue and a crisp 9˚.  The day the is going reasonable well. There was the usual breakfast dance around 5:30, that’s when the cats decide that it’s time for mommy to get the heck out of bed which is on time for work M-F, but daddy came to the rescue and scooted them all into the basement for a few more minutes of extra quiet. After there was a lot of door scratching and general begging breakfast was given around 6 and I made the unusual decision to get back into my extremely warm and snuggly bed to get some extra Sunday sleep. Then I ignored my 7am alarm and was not up and moving until 8:45, which is just crazy. 

We continued our favorite Sunday morning ritual of going to breakfast at a local restaurant and spent over 2 hours sitting, talking, planning and enjoying. Then me moved on to one of my favorite activities, grocery shopping which is known as the unspeakable activity as my husband needs convincing about partaking. When we got home I finally made good on my threat to make bread. I have been scheming and dreaming of making bread for many months now. Yesterday I remembered and dug out my William-Sonoma Essentials of Baking book, that was purchased quite literally a decade ago before I was even into being in charge of the kitchen.

Just as a side note I love this book, for someone who is comfortable in the world of baking and understands the basics it will seem a bit over detailed but it is perfect for me as baking is a bit foreign. 

My kitchen work station

Henry helping
As my first experience of baking beyond pizza dough, muffins and cookies it was good.  It was fun to get all of the ingredients and utensils I needed, and measure and create. Kneading the dough was extremely satisfying, even when the olives turned my nice smooth firm ball into a slightly sticky mess from the liquid I didn't drain off enough.






The kitchen plus husband
The dough is shaped and now going through the second rise before baking.. I am a bit nervous but that is normal for me.  Everyone quiet, the babies are all napping in their favorite spots and my husband and I are settled in the kitchen working on our respective computers. The rest of the day holds soup for dinner and maybe a movie. I might even fit in time to work on my devil red sweater.


Yesterday was just as good, happily. I managed to convince my husband to stay awake with me after the 5:00am breakfast dance by watching Return of the Jedi and making raisin cinnamon swirl toast with butter and cinnamon sugar. 
Tina
I spent the rest of the day spread out in the living room getting past the motivation roadblock with my devil red sweater and listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. We had pasta and homemade meat sauce and finished watching  Jet Li’s Fearless, which is so good. Like some of Jet Li’s other movies its artistic and extremely well done and the fighting is strangely not that violent.

Charlie and Henry napping together
The bread is done and it really does sound hollow when thumped on the bottom. 


1 comment: