Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dressing a Salad

Salad Dressing
The Rule of Threes..or fives depending :)

In trying to get in shape and get into healthy habits now while it is “easy” I make myself a salad for lunch every day. It might just me a side salad of spinach or the main course with spinach, beans, nuts and tomato – all depends on what I am feeling like and how hungry I was the day before.

Whatever the salad I always need dressing but I am usually not satisfied with the store bought selections. I find dressing to be too fatty or not have enough oil, too salty or with too sugar and never the right consistency. Being from a family of great cooks I have grown up with homemade dressing so it was not daunting for me to just make my own and be happy.

I make a half cup batch at a time because that it the container I have to bring to work and I can usually get 4 to 5 days out of that amount. I love this system because I like variety. Having the same dressing ever week is boring and makes me regret salad which is a very bad thing. I should say this applies for non-creamy dressings. But I guess you can mix some mayo or sour cream in and achieve what you are looking for.

Making the dressing. I find it is a rule of threes but if you like dressing to be lighter on the oil it should be a rule of fives. The basics are one part flavor and acid two parts oil though your preference might be 2 parts flavor and acid to 3 parts oil or vice versa. The creamy ingredients would be on the oil side of the parts and maybe use a daily liquid to loosen not oil. I always season with 2 pinches of ground pepper and a ¼ tsp of kosher salt. For the spices I use dashes so the absolute max amount would be a ¼ tsp, the sweeteners could range from a ¼ tsp to a full tsp and anything chunky (onion flakes, or dried herbs) usually is a main flavor so ½ tsp to a full tsp.

The main combinations I use are:

curry, ginger, cumin and garlic with brown sugar and white wine vinegar
ginger, honey and lemon juice with white wine vinegar
ginger, garlic, chive and soy sauce with a few drops of sesame oil with light oil
garlic, mustard powder, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar
onion flakes and parsley with balsamic vinegar

I try to experiment with the herbs and spices I have to find new and interesting (but never again) combinations. I would recommend working in small batches until you get the hang of it. There is nothing worse than being stuck with or throwing out a large amount of nasty dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment