Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hummus Success

It is now Thursday evening and I have yet to write anything as I had planned, I did however get the computer turned on one morning this week. I am not so surprised, this week has been very intense, with heat, humidity, yorping cats and the need to (once) and mistake of (a different morning) sleeping past my alarm.


I did have a great pre-breakfast morning on Tuesday. Got up on time, maybe even early, got my exercise in and I experimented with a new hummus recipe.


This was not a planned or intensional experimentation but out of need. During the weekend when I might have had a quick 10 minutes to get some more hummus together I did not realize that my supply was so low. Monday rolled around and I had just enough to make the standard lunch of late, hummus and cheese with pickled something on HM roll. The pickled something refers to the two jars I have in my fridge; pickled curry green tomatoes and sweet picked hot peppers.


Lo and behold my pantry did not come through for me this time – no chickpeas. But I did have plenty of black beans, so I went for it. I was partially inspired to do a non chickpea hummus from the small spread about Fresh Peas in the May 2011 issue of Whole Living, featuring – you guessed it! - a fresh pea hummus.


One well rinsed 16oz can of black beans, a medium clove of garlic, a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon each of tahini and lemon juice, a half teaspoon each of salt and cumin plus a quarter teaspoon of black pepper later I have a respectable amount of the best hummus I have ever made.


It is smooth and full of flavor, great plain (even before 6AM) or on my sandwich. The smooth part is really key for me as I usually end of adding way too much tahini and lemon juice to my chickpea hummus to try and get it to smooth out. I would, and will, say that this was a huge success.
My next adventure is eggplant parm, though I am planning for his one. What adventures have you taken in the kitchen lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment